154: YouTube: The Lord’s Vineyard—Father Mark Goring, CC (Free Version)
You might not know it, but Pembroke-born Father Mark Goring has been churning out YouTube commentaries for many years now—almost daily—and with increasingly creative green screen backgrounds! He knows the risks of “permanentizing” your words for all the world to see and comment on.
Goring also knows the rewards.
A member of the Ottawa-based Companions of the Cross priests, Goring has built up a large following on YouTube by following a simple formula: tell the truth about Jesus and the demands of the gospel. Along the way, call out scandal and corruption.
Last summer, he got a “cease and desist” notice from what Goring described as “legitimate authority” because of his name-names approach to the Uncle Ted summer of shame and how we got there as a Church. So what did he do?
He obeyed, and was called back to his Canadian roots (he had been the director of the Catholic Charismatic Center in Houston) and is now back in action from his old haunts in Ottawa. If it’s happening in the Church and affects ordinary Catholics, you can bet Father Mark is going to chime in with his direct, unambiguous, but unremittingly gentle communication style.
In this episode you will learn
- Why social media platforms like YouTube multiply your audience size by a thousand fold, and more if you do it right
- Why Goring became a priest in the first place
- How the fractured and divided Church of today can be united (hint: something to do with the deposit of faith)
- How to avoid the pitfalls of paying too much attention to negative feedback
- The importance of speaking out against Church corruption in a way that is neither angry tub-thumbing nor rationalizing away the real root causes
- How Father Bob Bedard, the founder of the CCs inspired Goring to “go for it”
- Why more priests should get on YouTube and start teaching the Faith
Resources mentioned in this episode
- In His Zone: 7 Principles for Thriving in Solitude by Father Mark Goring
- Father Goring’s YouTube channel
- Companions of the Cross community website
MyPillow.com: MyPillow is now making towels, Made with USA Cotton, soft yet absorbent. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save 30% . 60 day money back guarantee. Or Call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon “Patrick” to get the deal.
Join the Conversation
What does active participation in the Mass really mean to me?
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.