145: Books You Must Read Before You Die—Joseph Pearce
If Joseph Pearce had a superhero alter ego, it would be…Bookman! I know of very few other scholars more qualified to recommend the great books we all ought to read before we go to The Great Printer. The British born writer, editor, and professor of literature has spent his life mining the gold from the raw ore of books out there. How great to have a guide who can tell gold apart from fool’s gold.
This exchange was a lot of fun, and I know you’ll learn as much as I did.
In this episode you will learn
- The true meaning of a “classic” book
- Pearce’s favorites to read and reread
- How author biographies and their novels amplify each other
- Why reading is so essential as a life skill
- Tips on reading lists, priorities, and understanding genres
- The difference between taking time and wasting time
- How books can prompt or strengthen conversion to Christ
Resources mentioned in this episode
- The Unmasking of Oscar Wilde by Joseph Pearce
- Literature: What Every Catholic Should Know by Joseph Pearce
- Unafraid of Virginia Woolf: The Friends and Enemies of Roy Campbell by Joseph Pearce
- Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
- Green Dolphin Street by Elizabeth Goudge
- Bleak House by Charles Dickens
- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
- Aquinas by Frederick C. Copleston
- The Spirit of Catholicism by Karl Adam
- Evidence For Our Faith by Joseph Cavanaugh
- Apologetics and Catholic Doctrine by Archbishop Michael Sheehan
- Essentialism: The Disciplined Pursuit of Less by Greg McKeown
- Complete Poetical Works of Francis Thompson
- The Catholic Writer Today: And Other Essays by Dana Gioia
- The Path to Rome by Hilaire Belloc
- The Pilgrim’s Regress by C.S. Lewis
- Collected Letters, Vol. 3: Narnia, Cambridge and Joy, 1950-1963 ed by Walter Hooper
- MyPillow.com: MyPillow’s patented interlocking fill adjusts to your individual sleep needs regardless of sleeping position. Allowing your pillow to hold that position all night, helping you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save more. 10 year warranty/guaranteed not to go flat. 60 day money back guarantee. Or call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon Patrick to get a deal.
- Covenant Eyes: Is an accountability software designed to help you and those you live life free from pornography. Use code Patrick and try it out for Free for 30 days. Click here.
Join the Conversation
What is stopping me from reading more, and better, books?
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.