162: From Chaplain to the Queen to Catholic Convert—Gavin Ashenden (Free Version)
His official title was Honorary Chaplain to the Queen (QHC), kind of a big deal for any Anglican clergyman. Then Rt. Rev Gavin Ashenden held the position from 2008 until 2017, when he left following, inter alia, a public liturgical reading in a Glasgow cathedral from the Quran that denied the divinity of Christ.
A good Protestant, he protested. And then he parted ways with the established church.
The rest of the story is told in this interview with England’s highest-profile Catholic convert, received into the Catholic Church in December 2019.
In this episode you will learn
- The main influences in his spiritual life and the incident that triggered his conversion
- His thoughts on the Alpha Program
- Why he didn’t join the Anglican Ordinariate, erected by Pope Benedict XVI
- How nationalism, hyper-intellectualism, and collective pride have co-opted the Protestant world
- Why he stayed outside the Church for so long while understanding her better than many Catholics
- The strange rage from friends and family that so often gets unleashed at Catholic converts
- Ashenden’s plans for the future
Resources mentioned in this episode
MyPillow.com: MyPillow is now making towels. Made with USA Cotton, soft yet absorbent. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save 30%. Enjoy a 60-day money-back guarantee. Call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon “Patrick” to get the deal.
Join the Conversation
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.