169: Priest “Joins” Abuse Victims—Father John Hollowell (Free Version)
In mid-February, 2020, Father John Hollowell was diagnosed with a brain tumor. Probably one of the least desirable things to hear. The small-town Indiana pastor (of two busy parishes) has not only taken it in stride, as far as that’s possible, he says it was an answer to a prayer he made in 2018 during the maddening summer of shame with the news of McCarrick and related sins and crimes emerged—again.
As he explains in this in-depth interview, he asked God, if it be His will, to share in some way with the suffering victims of priestly sexual abuse. Hollowell says he senses strongly that his brain tumor is a mysterious answer to that prayer. He is consciously offering up all his anxiety, pain, chemo marathon—all of it—in union with Christ on the cross in special solidarity with those violated and hurt by predator priests.
Here is a good apple making reparation for the bad apples, an amazing thing. Let’s add to our prayer list this courageous young man of God even as we pray for the healing—and justice—for the victims of evil men who used their status to exploit and destroy. The more you ponder what Father Hollowell is doing, the more extraordinary it becomes.
In this episode you will learn
- The biblical basis for “offering it up”
- How the scandal of predators in the priesthood affected him and what his reaction was to the McCarrick news
- Why he decided to reach out to SNAP (Survivor Network of Abused by Priests, an ethically iffy group of secular lawsuit hounds) to connect with victims
- His thoughts on suffering, meaning, and why God permits bad things to happen to good people
- His prognosis hopes and what he hopes will be gained by his offer to offer up any suffering that comes
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Fr. Hollowell’s email for sharing with victims of abuse ONLY: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Third Way 40-minute documentary on homosexuality
- Man’s Search For Meaning by Dr. Viktor Frankl
- The Problem of Pain by C.S Lewis
- Desire of the Everlasting Hills documentary
MyPillow.com: MyPillow is now making towels. Made with USA Cotton, soft yet absorbent. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save 30%. Enjoy a 60-day money-back guarantee. Call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon “Patrick” to get the deal.
Join the Conversation below
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.