144: The Sexual Roots of Identity Politics—Mary Eberstadt
How did the culture get so chaotic so quickly? Identity politics taints everything it touches; sexual minorities clamor for rights that didn’t exist five years ago; violence has replaced reason in public discourse.
How did we get here?
This is the gargantuan problem tackled by scholar and social critic Mary Eberstadt in her latest book, Primal Screams: How the Sexual Revolution Created Identity Politics. In light of the level of rage that has taken over public conversations, on and off line, how can we get traction with ideologues on the Left? Eberstadt says we must begin by listening and understanding.
Every once in a while, a set of vitally important ideas shows up in one place. This book is such a place.
In this episode you will learn
- The nature and brief history of identity politics
- Why identity politics have spread in tandem with the spread of the sexual revolution across the US and elsewhere
- How the internet enabled globalism and vice versa
- Why science will finally reveal the empirical harm of pornography the way it did to nicotine
- How birth control has radically altered the ecosystem
- How the #MeToo movement reveals the breakdown of social learning
- What couples and families can do starting now to turn the tide toward sexual and societal sanity
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Primal Screams: How the Sexual Revolution Created Identity Politics by Mary Eberstadt
- How the West Really Lost God: A New Theory of Secularization by Mary Eberstadt
- Adam and Eve After the Pill: Paradoxes of The Sexual Revolution by Mary Eberstadt
- The Contraception Deception: Catholic Teaching on Birth Control by Patrick Coffin
- MyPillow.com: MyPillow’s patented interlocking fill adjusts to your individual sleep needs regardless of sleeping position. Allowing your pillow to hold that position all night, helping you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save more. 10 year warranty/guaranteed not to go flat. 60 day money back guarantee. Or call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon Patrick to get a deal.
- Covenant Eyes: Is an accountability software designed to help you and those you live life free from pornography. Use code Patrick and try it out for Free for 30 days. Click here.
Join the Conversation
In what way is a strong, or at least intact, family the best answer to identity politics?
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.