119: The Show Trial of Cardinal Pell—George Weigel (Free Version)
Everything you know about the guilty verdict of George Cardinal Pell—along with the background and nature of the charges—is wrong. While sexual abuse is an abhorrent crime, and while Catholic bishops do not have a stellar record of reporting and stopping such crimes, this particular case stinks to high heaven.
George Weigel, best known as the biographer of Pope St. John Paul II, has known His Eminence for over 50 years. He has also closely examined the facts of the allegations and the context of Australian Church/State politics. There is something very, very smelly here.
In this episode you will learn
- Why is was not just unlikely, but virtually impossible, that Pell could have done what he was alleged to have done two two choir boys in the sacristy of St. Patrick’s Cathedral in Melbourne back in 1996
- The ways in which the whole Australian justice system is also on trial here
- How the ideological collusion between the Victoria police and the Aussie media machine whipped up public venom against Cardinal Pell
- The ways in which George Pell serves as an ideal target for militant secularists in Australia
- Key facts that would have ordinarily exculpated someone so accused
- Pell’s chances for acquittal in his upcoming (June 2019) appeal
Resources mentioned in this episode
- “The Pell Affair: Australia Is Now On Trial” in First Things by George Weigel
- “Our Dreyfus Case” in First Things by George Weigel
- Police Interrogation of Cardinal Pell in an office at the Rome airport
- Commentary By Agnostic Andrew Bolt on Australian Sky TV (his ads have been stripped in protest)
Join the Conversation!
Question of the week:
Does the the reality of a mob baying for someone’s blood in the face of facts remind you of anything?
Follow PCM on Facebook here.
Don’t forget to Subscribe to the show in YouTube, as well as the podcast so you can get the weekly show updates. Check the podcast in iTunes and other podcast directories, please leave an honest review.
Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons below.
COFFIN NATION IS OPENING DOORS THIS FRIDAY, MARCH 15.
GET ON THE LIST BY CLICKING THE ORANGE BUTTON BELOW
AND GET YOUR CULTURE BUILDER CHEAT SHEET.