71: What Is a Real Man? Gordon Dalbey
I have been reading Rev. Dalbey’s books with great profit since the mid-90s. One of the first Christian leaders to address the crisis of masculinity, Dalbey has laid his hand on an urgent and increasingly obvious problem: men don’t know how to be men.
The source of the problem is multiform: the throwaway divorce culture, the failed Sexual Revolution, the epidemic of pornography, bad or non-existent modeling from one’s own father, and a sense of shame that gets covered over by excessive pride.
What is your relationship like with your father? How has it contributed to the man you are, for better or worse? Did your dad teach you how to pray? Talk to you about sex in a healthy way?
Do you struggle to be real—in all that that implies? How has a rules-based approach to religion insinuated itself into your relationship with Christ our Savior?
Gordon Dalbey has your back, and most probably understands your heart.
In this interview, you will learn:
- How the enemy likes to foment confusion about manhood and masculine identity.
- Why so many men fall for the false substitutes of portfolio size, power, and pornography, and how to find a way out
- What the Bible says about the meaning of “male and female He made them” (Gen 5:2)
- The ways in which the father, not the mother, instills and imparts male identity in young boys
- The source of the war over “gender” and how to recognize the error at the heart of it
- A way of renewing your faith in God as Father and Christ as divine Brother
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Healing the Masculine Soul: God’s Restoration of Men to Real Manhood by Gordon Dalbey
- Sons of the Father: Healing the Father-Wound in Men Today by Gordon Dalbey
- Fight Like a Man: A New Manhood For a New Warfare by Gordon Dalbey
- Rev. Dalbey’s website
The Patrick Coffin Show is 100% listener supported. Help us keep our show independent and unfiltered.
Consider supporting our work with a one-time or recurring donation HERE.
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Check out the store HERE
Sign up for our Inside Scoop newsletter with the best of The Patrick Coffin Show each week.
Join the Conversation
Question of the week:
How has the relationship with my dad affected how I experience God?
Don’t forget to Subscribe to the show in YouTube, as well as the podcast so you can get the weekly show updates. Check the podcast in iTunes and other podcast directories, while you are there, please leave an honest review.
Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons below.