49: What Is Catholicism?—Father Thomas Joseph White, OP
The last couple of shows have been on the intellectual-nerd side. Here’s another one! Father Thomas J. White, OP, of the Dominican House of Studies in Washington, DC, has distilled the essentials of Catholicism into a single volume, The Light of Christ: An Introduction to Catholicism. I devoured the book (insofar as you can devour a work that relies on Thomas Aquinas’s methods and language) in a few days despite being a slow reader. His style is accessible and his prose elegant with a whiff of humor here and there.
All of that comes through in this interview, as Father White gets down to basics of foundations of Catholicism.
In this episode, you’ll learn:
- What the gospel really is
- The philosophical and biblical basis for the Catholic Church’s main claim to be founded by Christ
- What Scripture is and why we can trust the New Testament as an historical document
- A simple way to explain the Trinity
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- The Light of Christ: An Introduction to Catholicism by Father White, OP
- Theology and Sanity by Frank Sheed
- Ignatius Study Bible, RSV Second Catholic Edition by the Holy Spirit and the sacred authors.
- Radio Replies: Classic Answers to Timeless Questions About the Catholic Faith by Leslie Rumble
Join the Conversation
Question of the week: How would you finish the sentence, “I”m Catholic because…..” Or, “I’m not Catholic because….”
Don’t forget to Subscribe to the show in YouTube, as well as the podcast so you can get the weekly show updates. Check the podcast in iTunes and other podcast directories, please leave an honest review.
Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons below.