76: What the Bleep Happened to Ireland—John Waters
Ireland was once known and loved as the land of saints and scholars. Stout in its Catholicism and justly proud of its traditions of literature, of art and of Guinness—along with a veritable factory of holy missionaries to places like Africa—Ireland has taken a slow tumble into chaos.
The Irish have fled the church pews like rats from the Titanic in the last 30 years; Catholic leadership on the old sod has been badly hobbled by scandal and tepid leadership; and, corporately, the Irish media have been crafting an aggressively secularist narrative about the nature of the country and its venerable past.
Very few people understand the “before and after” better than John Waters, my guest this week. He’s an author, playwright, rock journalist, and social critic who has decades of observational experience of his homeland—the recent history of which is less than encouraging, with its historic redefinition of marriage in 2015, and now, with the May 25, 2018 Referendum to repeal the 8th Amendment to the Irish Constitution, which guarantees the rights of all Irish citizens, including “the right to life of the unborn.”
If this Article is repealed, the Ireland of old, marked with the glories I mention above, is over. Done for.
I’m airing this interview to make it available to as many Irish listeners before the Referendum. Pray for Ireland.
In this interview, you will learn:
- The recent cultural and historical forces that have gotten Ireland to where she is today
- The deep meaning in Gaelic of the English word “unborn”
- How Ireland developed its current existential nihilism
- Signs of hope that Ireland can come back to her former glory
- Strategies for engaging a post-Christian culture with a new way of speaking the truth
- How therapeutic deism has replaced the Catholic Faith
Resources mentioned in this episode:
- Lapsed Agnostic By John Waters
- Beyond Consolation: How We Became Too Clever for God and Our Own Good by John Waters
- Persuasive Pro-life: How to Talk About Our Culture’s Toughest Issue by Trent Horn
- John Waters in First Things magazine.
Join the Conversation
Question of the week:
Why is it important to talk not just about the babies lost to abortion but the loss suffered by mothers, fathers, and the whole moral ecosystem?
The Patrick Coffin Show is 100% listener supported. Help us keep our show independent and unfiltered.
Consider supporting our work with a one-time or recurring donation HERE.
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Check out the store HERE
Sign up for our Inside Scoop newsletter with the best of The Patrick Coffin Show each week.
Don’t forget to Subscribe to the show in YouTube, as well as the podcast so you can get the weekly show updates. Check the podcast in iTunes and other podcast directories, while you are there, please leave an honest review.
Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons below.