146: What the Bleep Happened to the Church?—John Gravino
Many people, especially Catholics, are vexed and confused about how the once admirable Catholic Church suddenly became identified with pedophilia, leadership corruption, duplicity, and worldly ideals having little to do with the gospel.
Author John Gravino has outlined two forces—one intellectual, one moral—working in tandem (although not always intentionally as allies) to create the present crisis. So the John Jay Report found that 81% of sexual abuse victims were teen boys (not “children”). But which moral theologians taught these predators in Roman collars? Who were the highly esteemed dissenters that shaped priestly formation?
And what about humanistic psychology? Ever hear of Carl Rogers and William Coulson—or Richard McCormick, SJ, or Andre Guindon, or Charles Curran? If the answer is no, this interview with the author of Confronting the Pope of Suspicion: The Key to Church Reform is the place to start understanding how the bleep we got here as a Church that claims to have been founded and sustained by Jesus Christ.
In this episode you will learn
- The names and basic career paths of the main influencers in the 1960s and 70s (in secularist psychology and moral theology) that softened the ground for the sexual abuse crisis
- That the real source of confusion is not the on-the-books doctrines but how they have been seriously undermined and subverted for two generations
- Precisely how the controversial Amoris Laetitia by Pope Francis enshrines dissent and ambiguity into a papal document
- Why the abolition of exceptionless moral norms represents the collapse of Catholic morals
- How the Ten Commandments and traditional teachings of the Church were reinterpreted and recast as “important” but relegated to a place lower than conscience
- How the prophecy in Malachi 2:7-9 about what happens when priests no longer follow God’s counsel
Resources mentioned in this episode
- Confronting the Pope of Suspicion: The Key to Church Reform by John Gravino
- The Immoral Landscape (of the New Atheism): How Human Nature Poisons Everything and Why the Church Is Our Only Hope for Survival by John Gravino
- Peace of Soul by Fulton J. Sheen
- MyPillow.com: MyPillow’s patented interlocking fill adjusts to your individual sleep needs regardless of sleeping position. Allowing your pillow to hold that position all night, helping you fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer. Use code “Patrick” at checkout and save more. 10 year warranty/guaranteed not to go flat. 60 day money back guarantee. Or call: 800-794-9652 and mention coupon Patrick to get a deal.
- Covenant Eyes: Is an accountability software designed to help you and those you live life free from pornography. Use code Patrick and try it out for Free for 30 days. Click here.
Join the Conversation
What is stopping me from reading more, and better, books?
Connect with me on social media:
Tweet to Patrick HERE
Follow Patrick on Facebook HERE
Subscribe to the Podcast and the YouTube Channel
(Click on the images and then click on the Subscribe icon)
Apple/Mac Users podcast:
Android Users podcast:
Subscribe to the YouTube Channel:
While you are there, please leave an honest review.